Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Radio's Amazing History...

I ran across a feature piece that WCVB/Channel 5 in Boston did on their show "Chronicle" celebrating radio's 100th birthday back in late 2006. It's a wonderful look at the rich history of New England radio--something of particular interest to me having spent a large part of my career in and around the area.

Over the years I have been involved with countless stations in all 5 New England states: Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine. These places hold a lot of memories for me--mostly good! It is radio after all, and it can't all be good.

Whether or not you have any connection to New England radio you will find the history interesting. From legendary AM stations like WBZ and WTIC to the birth place of FM radio broadcasting from Paxton, MA. Major Armstrong's experimental FM station is still on the air today; a station that I had the privilege of programming in the late 80's--107.3 WAAF. In fact, last I knew the original tower is still standing and may still serve as a backup.

See the video right here.

No comments: