Thursday, April 2, 2009

Paul Sidney Dies

Most likely a name most are not familiar with--but for me and many of my fellow Long Islanders, we all knew and were fans of Paul Sidney. He founded and operated the quirky little east-end radio station "on the Redwood Causeway" WLNG-Sag Harbor. Paul Sidney was a genuine radio guy and a real character.

WLNG--the station of 10,000 oldies and nearly as many jingles, glorious reverb, heavily processed audio in mono, constant remote broadcasts from all over the Hamptons, lost pet reports, local news two times every hour, and never more than one song in a row. Even 20 years ago the station was a relic--a throwback to a different time. And yet, it was one of the most successfull small market radio stations in the country.

I want to salute Paul Sidney who didn't give a crap what anyone else was doing. He did it his way and was very successful. That station was a model of what to NOT to do and I loved it!

Here is a classic 'LNG ID and Jingle.

1 comment:

nutballgazette said...

I loved listening to WLNG when I lived there and even more after I moved away and would visit My hometown of Riverhead, My dad knew him, I believe he sold him a car,
I loved the Reverb sound that he would do, it was like going back to the 50s or 60s. He will be missed.