Sunday, August 16, 2009

Coldplay Get's It Right and Get's On 60 Minutes Too

Lead singer Chris Martin of Coldplay was interviewed on 60 Minutes tonight and said, "We rely more on enthusiasm than actual skill," he told Steve Kroft. "Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically and people will like it more."

He went on to say, "I can't dance like Usher. I can't sing like Beyonce. I can't write songs like Elton John," he said. "But, we can do the best we can with what we've got. …. And so that's what we do. We just go for it." Of course the fans of the band would argue otherwise. They have sold lots and lots of music at a time when the music industry is sales challenged.

He and his bandmates had other interesting and entertaining things to say, but that's not the point of this post. I want to focus on his enthusiasm comment and how refreshing it is. I will take it at face value that he was sincere and use it to implore all of my radio friends that right about now we could use an extra shot of enthusiasm--for our listeners, for our co-workers, for ourselves.

Enthusiasm alone doesn't make something entertaining but it's far better than humdrum "time to make the donuts" thinking. It's not easy and these days it might be down right near impossible to muster such energy. I hope not. And to quote Chris Martin, "just go for it."

Here's the link to watch the entire segment.

No comments: